Brandon Township Meeting, Saturday, October 13, 2018

Public Hearing Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2018

 

The Public Hearing for property owners included in the Wolf Creek Road Area 2019 Paving Project was held on October 13, 2018 at the Brandon Auditorium with Supervisor Gene Fynboh, Supervisor Kerby Lund, Supervisor Dennis Lund, Treasurer Kathy Zimmerman and Clerk Mike Cleary present.  With a quorum present, the meeting was called to order at 9:00 am. The pledge of allegiance was recited. 

 

Supervisor Fynboh introduced the Township Officers and Township Engineer, Jeff Stabnow.  He then stated the purpose of the meeting was to discuss the proposed paving of a portion of Wolf Creek Road and all of Svend and Severson Roads in Brandon Township.  He also stated that the supervisors would not be deciding to proceed or not at this meeting but would consider the input from those in attendance.

 

Clerk Cleary stated that all adjoining property owners had been mailed a notice of the meeting and that the notice was also posted to the Township web site and at the Brandon Bremer Bank and published in the September 27, 2018 and October 4, 2018 issues of The West Douglas County Record.

 

Clerk Cleary noted that a preliminary engineer estimate was presented to a number of Wolf Creek Road area property owners at the December 18, 2017 supervisor meeting and that a petition to consider paying was presented to the supervisors at the July 18, 2018 meeting.  The petition was audited by the clerk and certified as containing signatures of more that 50% of the adjoining property owners.

 

Township Engineer Jeff Stabnow reviewed his cost estimate for paving to a 7 ton spec which is the same spec used on both Sara Road and Big Chip Road projects in 2017 and 2018, respectively.  Discussion was then held on possibly increasing the specs on Wolf Creek Road to 9 tons due to heavier farm traffic in this area.

 

Clerk Cleary reviewed the calculation of estimated assessments based on the engineer’s estimate of $607,432 for the entire project.  He stated that, in accordance with township policy and past practices, the estimated cost of $295,009 to pave Wolf Creek Road only would be assessed 50% to the landowners with the balance to be paid by the township.  This would result in an assessment of approximately $1,821 for all 82 properties that would benefit from using this road to include the properties adjoining Svend and Severson Roads.  The estimated cost of $312,422 to pave Svend and Severson would be assessed 80% to the landowners with property abutting these two roads with the remaining 20% to be paid by the township.  This would result in an additional assessment of approximately $4,031 for the 62 properties on these two roads.

 

There were 36 residents in attendance of which approximately 60% spoke in favor of the project and approximately 40% spoke against the project.  Some of the concerns raised were the possibility of increased and faster traffic on Wolf Creek, possible damage to a 7-ton road from farm equipment, visibility on the hills and the amount of the estimated assessments.

 

No decision was made by the supervisors at the meeting.  All of the concerns raised by the residents will be considered prior to making a decision to proceed or not.  The attendees were advised to check the published meeting agendas on the Township website for future discussion and were encouraged to call or write the township officials if they had any additional concerns or questions.

 

Chair Fynboh thanked everyone for coming and adjourned the Public Hearing at 10:30 am.

 

 

 

 

                                                                                               

Mike Cleary, Clerk                                                   Gene Fynboh, Chair