Brandon Township Meeting, Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Brandon Township Annual Meeting Minutes
March 14, 2017
Call To Order: Clerk Mike Cleary called the annual meeting to order at 7:00pm with 12 people in attendance. The pledge of allegiance was recited by all. Adrian Ledermann was nominated and elected to moderate the meeting and took over as chair. The agenda was approved on a motion by Kerby Lund, seconded by Gene Fynboh. Motion carried.
1. Jeff Stabnow, Civil Engineer for Brandon Township, gave a brief update on the Big Chip Road Paving Project and the timetable for completing the project. Dates include: Sept 2016, public hearing after petition to pave was received; Feb. 2017, feasibility study with project cost estimate of $441,435 received and engineer instructed to solicit bids; April 2017, bids to be opened; summer 2017, paving project undertaken if bid accepted followed by assessment hearing. He also pointed out the need to establish a Paved Road Repair and Replacement Reserve Fund in light of the continuing deterioration of Chippewa Heights Road and need for ongoing maintenance on other paved roads in the township.
2. Nicole Fernholz from the Alexandria Area Economic Development Commission (AAEDC) handed out the 2016 annual report and the 2018 donation request of $2,500 from Brandon Township. 2017 efforts will focus primarily on marketing the area to attract quality workers and businesses.
3. Deidre Hubbard from the Brandon Fire Department presented the 2018 budget and request for funding of $27,930.96 from Brandon Township. In 2016, the department made 75 runs down slightly from the previous year. The department is purchasing a new rescue boat in 2017 and is continuing to explore plans for a new fire hall as they have outgrown the present hall.
Minutes: Reading of the minutes of the March 8, 2016 annual meeting was waved and the minutes approved on a motion by Paul Evavold and seconded by Gaylin Croonquist. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Kathy Zimmerman presented the Treasurers Report for 2016. Highlights were: 2016 Revenue - $205,441 plus $44,200 assessments received for paving project. 2016 Expenses: Payroll including road maintenance, administrative and elections -$28,441;
Other including fire protection, road materials and equipment - $131,063
Road paving projects - $102,713. After some discussion, the report was approved on a motion by Dennis Lund and seconded by Joni Neal. Motion carried.
2018 Budget and Levy: Mike Cleary present the Brandon Township budget and levy request for 2018. The budget calls for a levy of $35,000 for the General Fund, $140,000 for the Road & Bridge Fund and $26,000 for the First Responders Fund for a total of $203,000. This is an increase of $17,500 for the 2017 levy.
Road Report: Kerby Lund presented the 2016 road report detailing the maintenance and improvements undertaken during the past year. See the Road Report attached to these minutes for more details.
Old Business: There was no old business to discuss.
1. Retired Township Official Adrian Ledermann and Gaylin Croonquist were presented plaques honoring them for their many years of public service. Adrian served eleven years as Township Clerk and Gaylin served a total of twenty five years as Township Supervisor.
2. Discussion was held regarding the AAEDC request for $2,500 for 2018. On a motion by Joni Neal with a second by Kathy Zimmerman, the request was supported by those in attendance. The supervisors were directed to consider this request at their next monthly meeting.
3. Discussion was held regarding a letter request from Someplace Safe for a donation to support their program. The supervisors were directed to contact this organization for more details before considering the request further.
1. After discussion of the possible Big Chip Road paving project that would require additional funding including potential bonding and/or early assessment hearing, a motion was made by Paul Evavold and seconded by Gene Fynboh to approve the 2018 budget and levy request of $203,000. Motion carried.
2. A motion was made by Mike Cleary and seconded by Kathy Zimmerman to set the time, date and place of the 2018 Annual Meeting for 7:00pm on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at the Brandon Community Center. Motion carried.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm on a motion by Kathy Zimmerman and seconded by Adrian Lederman. Motion carried.
Brandon Township Road Report for 2016
· Brandon Township is responsible for maintaining 46 miles of township roads of which 4 miles have a paved surface and 42 miles are gravel
· Township supervisors spent a total of 450 hours plowing snow, grading, retrieving gravel and mowing township roads during 2016
· 3,340 yards of gravel was spread and 18,468 gallons of calcium chloride was applied to the roads
· Culverts were replaced on Hedeen, Hermanson and Skrove Roads and drainage was improved on two sections of Big Chip Road
· Pine trees were moved on Moon Lake Hts to improve sight lines and allow for better grading
· Brush and weeds were sprayed on township road right-a-ways
· Brush and trees were trimmed back on Burlington Road
· Driving surface on Wolf Creek Road was stabilized with application of additional gravel and adding chloride
· Purchased a Road Edge Gravel Retriever together with Evansville Township
· Sara Road paving project was completed in 2016 at a total cost of $101,984 of which the township share was $20,397
· An informational public hearing was held on September 17, 2016 regarding a proposed paving of Big Chip Road for 2017. Cost estimates were presented and concerns/support received for supervisors to consider
· The gravel road abutting lots 1-4 of the Julian addition on the south curve of Big Chip Road was officially established as a township road
· The township arranged with Douglas County to purchase one of their used snow plow trucks being retired in 2017