Brandon Township Meeting, Tuesday, March 12, 2013
March 12, 2013 - 7 P. M.
Brandon Township Annual Meeting Minutes
Brandon Community Center
1. Clerk Adrian Ledermann called the meeting to order at 7 pm with 16 people in attendance. The pledge of allegiance was recited by all. Mike Cleary was nominated to moderate the meeting and took over as chair. A motion to approve the agenda was made by John Gilson and seconded by John Ledermann. The motion was approved.
2. Clerk Adrian Ledermann read the Minutes of the March 13, 2012 Annual Meeting. The motion to approve the minutes was made by Gilson, and seconded by John Ledermann. The motion was approved.
3. Treasurer Diane Smith gave the Report of Receipts and Disbursements for 2012. The report was approved on a motion by Paul Roers, seconded by Gilson, and carried.
4. The Proposed Budget Levy for 2014 was submitted: General Fund-$25,000; Road and Bridge-$75,000; Fire and Responders-$25,000; CLRSD debt service township wide-$35,423 and CLRSD district only-$80,000. Discussion followed.
5. Guest Speakers:
Corliss Stark from Alexandria Area Economic Development Representative thanked the township for past support; indicated that the AAEDC has supported over 20 million in project costs for 2012 retaining 148 jobs and creating 51. jobs for the area. The budget request for 2014 from Brandon Township is $22,650.
Scott Schaefer from the Brandon Fire Department informed the gathering of the work of the fire department in 2012; about 45 calls, mostly medical response. They have a full complement of volunteers; are working to be independent of pull tabs for operating budget and that they now have funds to purchase a grass skid for their pump. The fire department is requesting $24,454 for the 2014 budget.
Jerry Johnson, Douglas County supervisor for Brandon Township area and Chris Korkowski teamed up to speak about further development of Douglas County Chippewa Park in Brandon Township. Brandon Township supports the development of a small bridge across the inlet between Devils and Little Chip lakes and foot paths and walk in camp sites on the 14 acres on park land across the inlet. Clerk Ledermann will send a letter of support to the county supervisors and to Al Liefort of the County Park Service. Those present signed the note of support. Chris Korkowski also gave a great short history of the park and of her efforts to find info about Edgefield cemetery and those buried there.
6. Old Business:
1 Sign maintenance report indicated work just beginning on removal of unnecessary signs. State law regarding speed limit sign limitations was given by clerk Ledermann.
2. Clerk Ledermann noted that after the November elections approved of the appointment of clerk and treasurer for the township that Mike Cleary has been appointed Treasurer and Adrian Ledermann will serve out his elected term until the end of 2014 when the clerk appointment will be made.
7. New Business:
1. The 2014 budget levy as proposed was approved on a motion by Roers, seconded by Gilson and carried.
. 2. Places of public notice publication will again use Brandon Township web site, The Record, and Bremer Bank in Brandon. Gilson suggested that post cards be sent as an annual meeting notification, when special issues come up at a meeting, and to inform the public about the township website.
3. Support for AAEDC request was recommended with a motion by Dennis Lund, seconded by Gilson and carried.
4. After Ledermann read the policy on chloride (dust control)a discussion followed with suggestions that some areas may need less chloride spread and some areas may need chloride bi-annually. No changes are indicated for this coming year, but area residents will consult with their neighbors about any changes considered and notify the clerk. Brandon Township supervisors will discuss spread options with the applicator truck driver.
5. Ledermann provided info on the Excel energy line construction and how it may affect township roads used for construction. Excel will take responsibility for any road repair needed.
6. Diane Smith's retirement after 20 years was acknowledged with a special plaque being presented and a hearty round of applause. Smith has also been head election judge for many years, doing great work in overseeing township elections.
7. Other: Several gravel requests for Aldrich road and Burlington Road were made.
8. Adjournment: On a motion by Gilson, seconded by Lund, and approved, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45pm. Coffee, cookies and bars were served by Smith and clerk Ledermann.
Adrian Ledermann, clerk